Goals are numbered only in the order I thought of them. I will try to update this page as I succeed or fail.
- Finish clearing the 3rd field (overtaken by pines) and plant about a half-acre(?) of buckwheat by hand(???) harvest by hand.
- Move garden closer to house, so we can walk outside with bare feet on brick path to reach it easily from kitchen
(this aerial is old but gives the idea)
- Pay for a friend with a tractor to build a retaining wall out of granite (already acquired) behind house. Build nice patio. It will look like pictured. Just kidding (unless...?)
- Build dry stone arch bridge with remaining granite to the 2nd field over the big stream (by "of view")
- Build small shed
- Build wood storage outside
- Turn the entire front lawn into a crazy field of poppies, probably a mix of shirley, california, and icelandic. The california poppies experient grew really well this year but we'll see how they do year over year.
- Have a baby
update: coming July
- Design some cottages. It may be many years before we're able to build one, though
- Design a workshop, build it if we have funds? Something really simple, enough to hold woodworking equip, a pottery wheel, and small propane forge hooked up to our 500gal tank?
- (in the winter months, mostly) publish more than last year. Winter here lends itself to this sort of thing.
so far: Designing a New Old Home: Part 1 Jan 16 2019
- Host more guests than last year, cook for more people. We both love cooking for other people, but have kept our heads down a lot in 2019.
- Make a few more "for fun" websites
- Make a small LLC? And sell some art stuff? I'm not sure what yet, maybe pottery or wood things, just for fun.
- Leave the US at least once (a goal we have for every year, even if its just driving to Montreal)
- On the 3rd field, start to build a temple to Artemis or Apollo, or the sun. It will almost certainly have to be timber, not stone. Also build a small temple or shrine to Christ. Probably won't be done in 2020.
- Landscape the "duck pond" area until its beautiful.
- Start a book of fables, try to self-publish it before the end of 2021? I have only some notes for this so far, I really don't know how long it will take.
- Learn the basics of timber framing. Maybe use 5. and 6. as practice for this.
- Furnish another bedroom in the house. We just got our guest bedroom a bed and mattress (don't all visit at once guys) but it needs everything else.
- Build shelves for the kitchen, just one level, right above the tile
- Build a real kitchen island (right now its just ikea stilts)
- Make some kind of village builder, simulator, or collaboration game. Something beautiful. Probably in HTML Canvas. Probably (???) in 3d.
- Re-start the orchard, that was started and semi- (mostly?) destroyed this year. Plant bigger trees or come up with something for deer defense.
- Find some way to inspire more people, or make them more optimistic. Or find a way to make people want beautiful things & want to make beauty. This is ofc hazy, but I think I'll have a good sense of whether or not I accomplish it.